It's hard to believe that my baby boy is technically no longer a baby anymore! It seems like just yesterday I was a nervous wreck on our way to the hospital, and now all of a sudden I'm planning a birthday party!
Even before Ty was born though, I knew I wanted to do a Very Hungry Caterpillar party. I'm not exactly sure what made me think of it, but one day I was sitting in his room and imagining reading him the first book I bought for him. Yep - The Very Hungry Caterpillar!
There is something about the classic children's book that lends itself very well to entertaining. Generally speaking, the focal point of any event (aside from the reason for celebration), is the food. For those not familiar with the book - The Hungry Caterpillar is all about food! He eats is way through many different foods, until he's big and strong and becomes a beautiful butterfly. A perfect metaphor for a young baby. It's amazing how much such a little guy can eat - but at the end of that first year he turns out to be a big strong boy!!
When planning Ty's party I knew I wanted to incorporate as many of the Caterpillar's foods as possible. Some loose variations of the food, but incorporated nonetheless! On the menu was:
- Chips, Salsa and Queso
- A meat and cheese platter, including Swiss Cheese, Salami and Sausage - a few of the Caterpillar's foods
- White Cheddar Cheese popcorn because my husband is obsessed and really wanted some.
- Grilled Burgers, Hot Dogs and Chicken, and condiments, including the Caterpillars pickles!
- Fruit Tray, including the fruits the caterpillar eats (I am soooo mad at myself for not getting a picture of this. The melons were shaped like caterpillars!)
- Veggie Platter
- Salad with homemade dressings (French, Red Wine Vinaigrette, Avocado Ranch, Honey Mustard)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- Vanilla Cupcakes*
- Dirt Cake with Cherry Gummy Worms*
- and of course a smash cake!!
- Frozen Mango slushes with Pineapple and/or Coconut Rum for the adults if desired!*
- Sweet Tea*, Regular Tea and Lemonade*
* recipe coming soon!
And, to leave you with some cuteness, you can't have a first birthday without some messy fun, right?! Check out my little guy enjoying his cake and some of the party decor!