Fettuccini Alfredo with Chicken
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma's Fettuccini Alfredo
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
3 T unsalted butter
1 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
S&P, to taste
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1 lb. tagliatelle or fettuccini
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the cream and butter to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add 6 T. of cheese and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and season with S&P and a generous pinch of nutmeg. (Be judicious with the salt - the cheese is salty so too much added salt will throw this creamy, sweet sauce out of balance.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt the boiling water, add pasta and cook until al dente. (1-3 minutes for fresh pasta, 8-12 minutes for boxed pasta). Drain well.
- Put the pasta in a warmed large, shallow bowl. Pour on the sauce, sprinkle with 6 T of the cheese and toss well.
- Top with grilled chicken and garnish with chopped fresh herbs if desired.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with remaining cheese as desired.
Serves 4 as a main course