Not too long ago I remembered and decided to try it when I got a chance. I got my chance with being asked to bring an appetizer to a Friday evening bridal shower... Still not exactly the same but it was a good start. It was a hit and would have gone over better if it wasn't a Friday during lent in a house full of Catholics... meat and lent don't always mesh well together.
Meaty Pizza Braid
Source: my mind hole
Ingredients (to make 2 braids)
2 rolls Pillsbury Recipe Creations Crescent Roll Dough
1 1/2 pounds ground meat of choice (I used beef and sausage)
2 cups shredded Mozarella Cheese
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning, + a little more to sprinkle
1 tablespoon EVOO, divided
a little bit of Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle
- Brown meats and drain, allow to cool for a few minutes
- Once cool, combine with shredded cheese and seasoning
- Preheat oven to cooking temp on dough (375 or 425 I believe)
- Unroll each sheet of dough on lightly floured surface and roll to about 10x14 inches or so
- place 1/2 of meat/cheese mixture in center of dough sheet, spread just down the center, long ways, leaving about 3 inches on each side to fold up.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut lines perpendicular to the meat mixture, about 1- 1 1/2 inches apart
- Bring the dough strips up, alternating like a braid, to meet in the center of the meat mixture. Crease to seal.
- Once assembled, brush top with EVOO and top with additional seasoning and parmesan cheese
- Bake in preheated oven about 15-20 minutes until heated through and golden brown.