Also, just an FYI - the leftovers were FANTASTIC with some shredded chicken thrown in while heating up. Yeah, a few people at work were jealous when they smelled it in the good 'ol microwave!
Beer and Cheddar Risotto
Makes 6 servings
1/2 small onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter2+ tablespoons olive oil
2 cups Arborio rice
12 oz. bottle of beer (preferably not light beer)
49.5 ounce can of chicken broth
5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pour chicken broth into medium saucepan.
- Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Heat just until butter is melted.
- Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add garlic.
- Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just until fragrant.
- Add rice and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until opaque, adding more olive oil as necessary to coat the rice.
- Pour in beer, turn heat up to high until it starts to simmer.
- Turn heat back to medium-low and add the chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid dissolves.
- You may not need to use all of the chicken broth - risotto should be creamy and just slightly al dente. This should take 30 minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses and cayenne pepper.
** I originally got this on the nest forever ago and didn’t attribute to anyone when I saved it. When doing a google search I found that Colleen had it, but also has had for awhile (from the nest) and didn’t attribute either)