Ah, surprise... I made yet another pasta dish! What can I say though, I will never apologize for my love of pasta, regardless of the fact that my problem body-area is my gut!
I've been trying to think of new ways to cook chicken and new pasta dishes so naturally I thought, how about a pasta with chicken?! I honestly don't know how I thought of a chicken cordon bleu pasta but does it really matter?!
So anyway, I made this over the weekend and I loved it (I think my husband just liked it, but he does not have as big of a love affair with pasta and chicken as I do!) There are a few things I would have done a little differently though (noted below)....
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta
~ 8 oz. desired pasta (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste Rotini)
2 B/S Chicken Breasts, diced in to small cubes (1/2"?) (I planned on roughly shredding but I was exhausted so I went the quicker route!)
4 slices prosciutto, cut in to thin strips
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
~ 1 1/2 cups milk (I don't know if these are the correct ratios I should have used to make a basic bechemel/cream sauce....)
~1 cup swiss cheese
~1 cup Provel Cheese (found in St. Louis - made with Cheddar, Provelone and Swiss I believe)
- Sautee Chicken in skillet with EVOO
- Cook pasta to al dente while cooking chicken
- add prosciutto when chicken is almost cooked through
- in a sauce pan, melt butter then add flour and cook for a minute or two
- slowly whisk in milk and let thicken for a few minutes
- add cheese in to milk and stir to heat and melt
- add chicken and prosciutto to drained pasta in pasta pot
- add cheese sauce and stir well
- season with S&P if desired
(Might try again but to thin out the sauce and add a deeper flavor, next time I may take out the meat and leave the drippings, then deglazing with a Pinot Grigio, then add the cheese sauce and chicken mixture pouring over the cooked pasta in a bowl...or something along those lines!)